All organ builders
who worked in Paris before the revolution
The organ builders in the 18th century
1/2
The Clicquot dynasty
Robert Clicquot (1645-1719) learned his skills from his brother-in-law
Etienne Enocq (who worked on the organ of Saint-Leu-Saint-Gilles), who
called him to Paris to work on the organ of the chapel at Versailles. He was
appointed ‘facteur d’orgues du Roy’, a post held by successive members of
the family. He was associated with Alexandre Thierry, who was also the
godfather of his son Louis-Alexandre. After Thierry’s death (1699) Clicquot
took his place as the leading organ builder in Paris. With the help of Julian
Tribuot, he built the organ in the chapel at Versailles (1711). None of his
organs has survived.
His son Jean Baptiste Clicquot (1678-1746) learned organ building from
his father and became partner of Alexandre Thierry.
Robert’s other son, Louis-Alexandre Clicquot (1684-1760) did some
(maintenance) works in Paris, but the important role of the family in Paris
was played by his son François-Henri Clicquot (1732-1790).
The death of Thierry (1749), Lescop (1753), L.A. Clicquot (1760), Ferrand (1763)
and Bessart (1764) ended the last generation of organ builders representing
the French classical organ type ‘pur sang’ and a new era began with François-
Henri Clicquot by far in the lead.
The realization of the great organ at St Roch (1770) established his
reputation. The number of instruments he maintained and modernized
quickly increased. Between 1770 and his death he overshadowed all other
Parisian organ builders. The greatest instrument built by François-Henri
Clicquot was that at St Sulpice (1781). His best preserved instruments in
Paris are at St Gervais (1768) and St Nicolas-des-Champs (1777).
His most important innovations were:
•
modified voicing of the foudation stops and Plein jeu (more sharp)
•
a ‘grand jeu’ founded on the Bombardes
•
introduction of new solo stops like the Hautbois
•
new composition of the small keyboards (Récit, echo)
His son Claude François Clicquot (1762-1801) succeeded his father in
1790 and completed unfinished works of his father, e.g. the organ of
Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois. During the first part of the Revolution he rebuilt
some organs which were removed from suppressed churches, including St
Eustache and St Jacques-du-Haut-Pas and he repaired many others (e.g. St
Merry).
In 1794, he abandoned his profession to join the army, as did his two
brothers.
More information on Clicquot…
Photo’s: St Roch - St Gdermain-de-l’Auxerrois
Signature of FH Clicquot (organ of Saint-Leu-Saint-Gilles)
allbuildersbr