The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS © 2021 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME ALL ORGANS

Missing organs

A-C D-R S-Z Banlieue
There are a few organs which have disappeared during the last decades. They were either sold, transferred to the depot of the city of Paris or simply removed with unknown destination. Cathédrale Arménienne Saint-Jean-Baptiste This organ has been sold for one euro to the cathédrale Notre-Dame de Senlis. It will be used as a temporary organ during the restoration of the Great Organ Clicquot-Merklin. It left Paris in September 2018. It is replaced by a electronic device. Chapel of the former Collège des jésuites de l'Immaculée Conception. Hippolyte Loret, 1862. This organ has disappeared, there are no further data available. Chapel of the Palais du Luxembourg (today the Senat). It housed an organ dating to 1844, built by an unknown builder, nowadays missing. Chapelle des petites sœurs de l’Assomption In 2002, this organ (Puget, 1908; Gutschenritter, 1957) has been transferred to the paroisse Sainte- Croix-du-Port, Ivry-sur-Seine. Chapelle Notre Dame Réconciliatrice de la Salette. It seems that this organ (Cavaillé-Coll, vers 1880; Gutschenritter, 1961) was not transfered to the new chapel when the old chapel was demolished during the 1980’s. Cinema-organs The six cinema-organs (le Paramount, le Madeleine, le Clichy Palace, l’Olympia, le Théâtre Pigalle et le Gaumont Palace) are gone, with the exeption of the organ of the cinéma Gaumont- Palace, built in 1930 by Hill, Norman and Beard Limited from Norwich, IV/14, unit. This organ is moved in 1980 to the Pavillon Baltard (the old Halles de Paris) in Nogent-sur-Marne and restored by Dargassies. Ecole César Franck 8, rue Gît-le-Coeur. This school possesed an organ built by Haerpfer- Ermann in 1969 (II/6). The school has been closed and it is unknown where the organ is nowadays. Eglise évangélique Baptiste de Paris This church housed an organ built by Gonzalez 1965, II/8 (6). It is not there anymore. Eglise luthérienne des Billettes, choir organ In 1987, the church acquired a small choir organ built by Muhleisen. This Positive of 4 stops with pedal ‘en tirasse’ is said to have been sold to a temple in Marseille in the early 2000s. Eglise Eglise luthérienne La Trinité This organ (Ménard, 1847, I/7) was replaced by an electronic device; only the organ case survived. Notre-Dame de-la-gare, orgue de choeur This organ (1860, (I/4) was sold in 1991 to a private person. Notre Dame des Champs, choir organ This organ (Gonzalez, 1969) was removed years ago. Opéra comique: The first organ of the Opera- Comique (a small Cavaillé-Coll of 4 stops) was replaced by a larger instrument at an unknown date. This organ, whose console was already missing, was dismantled by Dargassies in 1999 and is stored at the workshop in Rambervilliers. The little Cavaillé-Coll was transferred to the church of Saint Germain les Corbeil (91). Palais du Trocadéro Built by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll for the Word Exposition of 1878 at the Palais du Trocadéro, transfert in 1937 to the Palais de Chaillot and in 1977 to the Auditorium Maurice-Ravel in Lyon. Plus d’informations… Audio: o commentaires dialogués entre André Marchal et Norbert Dufourcq (1962) o improvisation André Marchal : nous n’irons plus au bois Saint Denis-de-la-Chapelle No organ (see: Sainte Jeanne d'Arc) Saint Georges de la Villette The organ on the tribune was built by Abbey in 1900. Remaining authentic until 1967, it was then the subject of a series of unfinished transformations. Very degraded following the restoration of the church in 1983, the instrumental part was dismantled and only the buffet remained in place. Some of the pipes were then integrated into the choir organ. Salle Gaveau This hall housed an organ built in 1900 by Mutin (III/39) ; only the facade survived - the instrument itself was moved to Saint-Saëns (Normandie). Salle Pleyel This hall housed a big organ, built by the Société anonyme française de facture d’orgues Cavaillé-Coll in 1929 (IV/70) and inaugurated by Marcel Dupré in 1930. It was removed in the fifties and seems to have been moved several times during the follwing years. It is now said to be stored in some warehouse somewhere in France. There is only a photo of the console, the organ had no case. Studio 103 and 1094 de la Maison de Radio- France The organ of Müller of Studio 103 was transferred in 2008 to l'église Sainte Jeanne-d'Arc de Versailles. The Gonzalez organ of Studio 104 was transferredto Notre-Dame-de-la-Treille, the cathedral of Lille. Study of Charles Gounod L’orgue de salon Cavaillé-Coll, 1879, II/16 (12) of the study of Charles Gounod located at 20 place Malesherbes à Paris, moved to Bordeaux in 1937 and later to Saint-Pierre in Sauve (Gironde). Theatre-Lyrique: the organ of the Hall at the Boulevard du Temple (Cavaillé-Coll, 1859, II/8): transferred in 1863 to the Cathedral of Grenoble and now located at the Church of St. Didier of Voreppe. the organ of the Hall at the Place du Châtelet (Cavaillé-Coll, 1864, II/8): Transferred to Belle-Ile- en-Mer in 1875 by Cavaillé who added the buffet and the pipes in front. Restored by Bernard Hurvy, 1992.
Choir organs
The old console of the organ of the Pleyel Hall
The organ of the Palais du Trocadéro 1er rang : Stan Golestan (3e), Xavier Leroux, Robert Lyon (Pleyel), Gaston Carraud (7e), Théodore Dubois (9e), Jean d'Estournelles de Constant (directeur des Beaux-Arts), Dujardin-Baumetz, X, Charles-Marie Widor (avec la barbe !), Paul Vidal, X, Wanda Landowska, Pierre Monteux. 2e rang : Reynaldo Hahn (5e), Raoul Pugno, Philippe Gaubert, plus bas : X, puis Henry Rabaud, en remontant, à gauche du drapé, Francis Casadesus (2eme) 3e rang : Paul Dukas (5e), Gustave Lyon (Pleyel), Enesco, André Bloch, à droite du drapé : Alexandre Georges (3e), Paul Le Flem, Roger Lyon (Pleyel).
Alexandre Guilmant on the organ of the Gaveau Hall (1910?)
The study of Charles Gounod, with its organ
Marcel Dupré on the organ of Trocadéro
Jeanne Demessieux on the organ of the Pleyel Hall (1946)
Organs of Paris

Missing organs

A-C A-C D-R D-R S-Z S-Z Banlieue Banlieue
There are a few organs which have disappeared during the last decades. They were either sold, transferred to the depot of the city of Paris or simply removed with unknown destination. Cathédrale Arménienne Saint-Jean-Baptiste This organ has been sold for one euro to the cathédrale Notre-Dame de Senlis. It will be used as a temporary organ during the restoration of the Great Organ Clicquot-Merklin. It left Paris in September 2018. It is replaced by a electronic device. Chapel of the former Collège des jésuites de l'Immaculée Conception. Hippolyte Loret, 1862. This organ has disappeared, there are no further data available. Chapel of the Palais du Luxembourg (today the Senat). It housed an organ dating to 1844, built by an unknown builder, nowadays missing. Chapelle des petites sœurs de l’Assomption In 2002, this organ (Puget, 1908; Gutschenritter, 1957) has been transferred to the paroisse Sainte-Croix-du-Port, Ivry-sur-Seine. Chapelle Notre Dame Réconciliatrice de la Salette. It seems that this organ (Cavaillé-Coll, vers 1880; Gutschenritter, 1961) was not transfered to the new chapel when the old chapel was demolished during the 1980’s. Cinema-organs The six cinema-organs (le Paramount, le Madeleine, le Clichy Palace, l’Olympia, le Théâtre Pigalle et le Gaumont Palace) are gone, with the exeption of the organ of the cinéma Gaumont- Palace, built in 1930 by Hill, Norman and Beard Limited from Norwich, IV/14, unit. This organ is moved in 1980 to the Pavillon Baltard (the old Halles de Paris) in Nogent-sur-Marne and restored by Dargassies. Ecole César Franck 8, rue Gît-le-Coeur. This school possesed an organ built by Haerpfer- Ermann in 1969 (II/6). The school has been closed and it is unknown where the organ is nowadays. Eglise évangélique Baptiste de Paris This church housed an organ built by Gonzalez 1965, II/8 (6). It is not there anymore. Eglise luthérienne des Billettes, choir organ In 1987, the church acquired a small choir organ built by Muhleisen. This Positive of 4 stops with pedal ‘en tirasse’ is said to have been sold to a temple in Marseille in the early 2000s. Eglise Eglise luthérienne La Trinité This organ (Ménard, 1847, I/7) was replaced by an electronic device; only the organ case survived. Notre-Dame de-la-gare, orgue de choeur This organ (1860, (I/4) was sold in 1991 to a private person. Notre Dame des Champs, choir organ This organ (Gonzalez, 1969) was removed years ago. Opéra comique: The first organ of the Opera- Comique (a small Cavaillé-Coll of 4 stops) was replaced by a larger instrument at an unknown date. This organ, whose console was already missing, was dismantled by Dargassies in 1999 and is stored at the workshop in Rambervilliers. The little Cavaillé-Coll was transferred to the church of Saint Germain les Corbeil (91). Palais du Trocadéro Built by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll for the Word Exposition of 1878 at the Palais du Trocadéro, transfert in 1937 to the Palais de Chaillot and in 1977 to the Auditorium Maurice-Ravel in Lyon. Plus d’informations… Audio: o commentaires dialogués entre André Marchal et Norbert Dufourcq (1962) o improvisation André Marchal : nous n’irons plus au bois Saint Denis-de-la-Chapelle No organ (see: Sainte Jeanne d'Arc) Saint Georges de la Villette The organ on the tribune was built by Abbey in 1900. Remaining authentic until 1967, it was then the subject of a series of unfinished transformations. Very degraded following the restoration of the church in 1983, the instrumental part was dismantled and only the buffet remained in place. Some of the pipes were then integrated into the choir organ. Salle Gaveau This hall housed an organ built in 1900 by Mutin (III/39) ; only the facade survived - the instrument itself was moved to Saint-Saëns (Normandie). Salle Pleyel This hall housed a big organ, built by the Société anonyme française de facture d’orgues Cavaillé-Coll in 1929 (IV/70) and inaugurated by Marcel Dupré in 1930. It was removed in the fifties and seems to have been moved several times during the follwing years. It is now said to be stored in some warehouse somewhere in France. There is only a photo of the console, the organ had no case. Studio 103 and 1094 de la Maison de Radio- France The organ of Müller of Studio 103 was transferred in 2008 to l'église Sainte Jeanne-d'Arc de Versailles. The Gonzalez organ of Studio 104 was transferredto Notre-Dame-de-la-Treille, the cathedral of Lille. Study of Charles Gounod L’orgue de salon Cavaillé-Coll, 1879, II/16 (12) of the study of Charles Gounod located at 20 place Malesherbes à Paris, moved to Bordeaux in 1937 and later to Saint-Pierre in Sauve (Gironde). Theatre-Lyrique: the organ of the Hall at the Boulevard du Temple (Cavaillé-Coll, 1859, II/8): transferred in 1863 to the Cathedral of Grenoble and now located at the Church of St. Didier of Voreppe. the organ of the Hall at the Place du Châtelet (Cavaillé-Coll, 1864, II/8): Transferred to Belle-Ile- en-Mer in 1875 by Cavaillé who added the buffet and the pipes in front. Restored by Bernard Hurvy, 1992.
ORGANS OF PARIS 2.0 © Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
Choir organs Choir organs